10 Things You Can Do Right Now to Get Active with DFW NORML
Posted on: October 7, 2014
One of the most common questions we get asked here at DFW NORML is “what can I do to help out?” So here is an end of summer list of the 10 things you can do to begin actively participating in the reform of Texas marijuana laws:
1. Educate yourself and share that knowledge with others! Learn the facts and current headlines about medical marijuana, industrial hemp and recreational cannabis from websites such as:
2. Contact your elected representatives and urge them to support sensible and compassionate changes to Texas’ outdated marijuana laws. Find out who represents you at http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx and simply type in your zip code for a list of your reps. Don’t just send them an email because those are too easy to ignore! Pick up the phone and call them. It’s unlikely you will actually speak directly to your rep, and will instead either be directed to leave a voicemail or speak with a staffer / aide. When the offices of our reps start receiving more phone calls and in person meetings about marijuana, they will have no choice but to take this topic seriously. Urge them to be courageous and to lead on this topic.
3. Vote in the upcoming Texas election! Early voting is from 10/20 – 10/31 and election day is 11/4. Not sure who to vote for? Download the free Texas NORML Voters’ Guide at dfwnorml.org/texas-voter-guide to find out which candidates support us and who doesn’t so we can make some serious changes to our legislature. Print out multiple copies of the guide, and leave them anywhere you see League of Women Voter’s Guides such as local grocery stores and libraries. Leave them at smoke shops, grow shops, electronics stores and any “friendly” businesses you can find.
4. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. Make posts on social media sites about joining DFW NORML and supporting marijuana legalization by using our hashtags #dfwnorml and #LegalizeTx. We love it when our members post photos of themselves holding their new membership cards or wearing their new merchandise and occasionally share those photos to our thousands of fans. Educate those within your sphere of influence about your personal reasons for supporting marijuana reform and encourage them to come out of the cannabis closet and into the light of liberty with the rest of us.
5. Donate to DFW NORML at dfwnorml.myshopify.com/products/donation and help us do things like put up billboards, advertise (online, radio, TV, print), host events and continue to spread the message of legalization across the Lone Star State. If you’re able, sign up for a monthly recurring donation through PayPal at dfwnorml.org/lobby.
6. Vote with your dollars by shopping at NORML-friendly businesses that actively support reform instead of continuing to fund businesses that don’t support our rights as responsible cannabis consumers. Find out which businesses support us at dfwnorml.org/supporters. If you own a business and would like to offer our members a discount or offer support in some other way, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Attend a DFW NORML meeting, march or fundraising event because we’re doing something every month. Find out what we’re up to this month at dfwnorml.org/events or facebook.com/thedfwnorml/events. Even better than attending an event is volunteering at one! Email email@example.com today to get involved. We’re always looking for people to help us pass out educational flyers and pamphlets at busy places around North Texas. Have a special skill you’d like to donate to the cause? Be sure to include that in your email.
8. Contact our local media and insist that they start providing more coverage of the reform of Texas’ marijuana laws. The more the media hears about our events and how active we are as reformers, the more often we’ll see favorable coverage of the cause. Every media outlet has some kind of news desk so find out how to contact your favorite radio / TV / online / print news organization and let them know that we are here!
9. Attend the Dallas Marijuana March on October 18th and help us promote it. Call the media and tell them to make sure they cover this one since somehow the entire Dallas / Fort Worth media managed to miss our march in May where 2,200 Texans took over the streets of Fort Worth.
10. Get creative! Utilize your special skills, tools and network to let people know about DFW NORML and the alternatives to cannabis prohibition. Find a way to make the things you are passionate about in your personal or professional life and be the bridge that connects that topic with marijuana legalization!
What else could YOU do to get involved? The time is now.